Friday, April 30, 2010

Obsidian

This morning I had a short dream in which I was shopping in a store that had a small display of gemstones on the end of an isle. I was looking at what they had available in my favorite gemstone color; sea green. But there was a voice that kept whispering to me, "Obsidian."

I knelt down to the bottom of the display and found the obsidian, picked one up, and marveled at how good it felt in my hand. This was certainly not a stone I would have chosen on my own due to it's black color, however this one in my hand was quite pretty as it shimmered a bit with other colors.

After the dream I did some research on the metaphysical properties of obsidian. It is really wonderful how well this stone will be useful to me in my new venture and adventure.

Obsidian is volcanic lava cooled quickly. It is a natural glass. A stone of protection, it was probably one the first stones to be used for arrowheads and knives. A stone of Honesty, Sincerity and Truth, Obsidian will bring out the Warrior spirit in you. It can help reach into your subconscious, reclaim yourself, and help you find or re-discover forgotten abilities within yourself.

Protection: It can help to prevent negative energy from effecting you, and also help keep your thoughts from turning negative. (emotionally beating yourself up?) It is also a very grounding stone.
Insight: Its mirror like surface reveals its special ability to act as a mirror and help you see your own flaws honestly. It doesn't abandon you there, but will also provide insight into correcting those flaws.
Change: People in 12 Step Programs can use it as a powerful tool of change, aiding your desire to alter behavior, change harmful communication patterns or overcome obsessions.

Obsidians forceful dose of cutting reality can be softened if necessary for shy or timid people by combining it with aventurine, rose quartz, and Chrysocolla. The other alternative, is to use Snowflake Obsidian, which has many of the same properties, but a softer touch.

Color
Usually black

Physical Healing Properties
relieves pain, Circulation: its energies can help those hands & feet that seem to be constantly cold.

Careers
Entrepreneurs, Inventor

I don't do too much with crystals. I'm not one of those new-agers... ;-) But I liked the way the stone felt in the dream, and since it felt like a message for me I decided (while still in the dream) that I would buy an obsidian stone next week.

The information I found during research was like an exclamation point on a dream message.

No comments: