Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Two Similar Dreams

I had an interesting dream last night. It felt important, and I find it especially significant because of how it relates to a dream I had about a year and a half ago that felt equally important.

In the dream from a year and a half ago I was surfing through the halls of a big hotel. There was a man surfing as well. He was always a little bit behind me, and he seemed very amused with me.

We were surfing so fast and no one else could keep up with us, even though they would try.

We ended up in the lobby and I saw a black girl with her mother. The girl was my age, but she still seemed like a girl because she was always with her mom. There was something very immature about it. I recognized this girl as my nemesis. She and her mother seemed to be trying to sabotage what they thought I wanted. I was laughing at them on the inside because what they thought I wanted wasn’t what I wanted at all. I wanted something different.

They ended up getting caught in a trap that they meant for me; a shower with a big shower head in the middle of the lobby. They got soaking wet and very mad.

The surfer was watching everything. I made him laugh. I amused him.

Then I half-way woke up.

As I was falling back to sleep, I became aware of movement. I was in an elevator going up. Some part of me outside of the dream sighs and thinks, “Good, I’ve been working towards this for 500 years…”

The elevator stops and I get out. It’s dark, but I can tell I’m on the roof of the hotel. There is a purple mist swirling around the ground and it reaches up past my knees.

Then I see the surfer guy there, and I’m very glad to see him.

The dream from last night was different but reminded me of this one in several ways.

Almost every time I woke up last night I found myself singing a song from Sesame Street. "One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong..." This song seems to be about me not fitting in in the environment I am in right now.

The Sesame Street theme continued into my dream. In the dream I was at some kind of convention. There were lots of Sesame Street people there. We waked past Luis and I told my friend that I thought he was really cute. His name was spelled weird in the dream. Lewees or something like that. I recognized the odd spelling of his name to mean he was representing an aspect of myself. I'm not your average Michelle.

There were a lot of trips to the bathroom in this dream(as there always are with all day conventions). During one of my trips to the bathroom I saw that it was an absolute mess. Filthy. Also, there was a guy in there! He looked like a bouncer or a big bully. He told me I couldn’t use this bathroom. I didn’t even consider leaving. I just pushed past him and went into one of the stalls.

I went outside and was walking around with some people. On the way back in I saw Luis again. I asked him if he wanted to walk with me and he said no. He told me he overheard me say that I liked him. I said, “So…” like it shouldn’t matter. He thought about it for a second and decided it didn’t really matter and walked inside with me.

Inside there were TV screens playing scenes from soap operas. I went up to one and saw that there were 3D glasses to use. I put a pair on and thought that the soap opera was a silly imitation of real life.

When the convention was over and all the people were filing out of the room, there was a part of me I could overhear that said, “It’s been 500 years!” as if something important had finally been accomplished.


Both of the dreams had dark-skinned dream characters who represented a dark or "shadow" aspect of myself. The saboteur and the part that goes along, doing what it does, without questioning why.

Each dream referenced different aspects of our human existence. The temporary nature of our human experience, implied by the hotel in the first dream, and the imitation of real life (or our lives in spirit), pictured by the soap opera in the second. The second dream spelled this out quite nicely by providing 3D glasses so that I could "see" 3D meant the third dimension.

Convention could be a play on words for conventional. There isn't much about me that is conventional. I'm not trying to be different. I am trying to be myself. But it seems that my self is quite different than almost everybody I know. And this idea of me being different is echoed every time I wake up sing the song from Sesame Street about not belonging. As one of my friends put it, "You're just weirder and weirder the more I get to know you!"

Both dreams end with a big question, though. What is the 500 years all about? It's a great mystery!

No comments: